Interesting places

Sights of Grodno and Grodno region.
we Recommend to visit

Historical center of Grodno

sights of Grodno

Grodno – a unique city, with its rich architectural and cultural heritage of the past. Grodno was first mentioned officially in 1127. In fact, the city is much older. During its long history the city has gone through a lot: wars, fires, the rise and crisis times...

Show/hide all

Preserved historical planning structure of the Central part of the city of XVIII-XIX centuries, where, in the small area holds about 400 historical objects of various eras and styles are inextricably linked.

sights of Grodno

The urban composition of town centre evolved over the centuries, given the beautiful natural landscape of hills, floodplains and ravines.

In the XII and the first half of the XIII century Grodno was the center of an independent Principality. In the XV century. became the largest shopping and commercial center of Belarus, and from the XVI century became the residence of the great Lithuanian princes and Polish kings.

sights of Grodno

The development of the city came from the castle, founded on a high hill at the confluence of Gorodnichanka in Neman, along the rivers. The layout of the streets were not regular; but go on peresajennami complex terrain of the city. Trade area is located two blocks from the castle. She went seven streets. The Central place of the area is occupied by the town hall, they are surrounded by houses of the nobility, big merchants, here stood the parish Church, churches, monasteries.

sights of Grodno

In the cultural heritage of Grodno is dominated by its brilliant architectural ensembles, intertwined with the monuments of different eras and styles: ancient Russian architecture (Boris and Gleb Church), the Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque (Bernardine Church and monastery, Old castle), Baroque (Jesuit, brightsky and Franciscan monasteries with churches), classicism (the house of Vice-Governor), Gothic revival (Lutheran Church) and other areas.

The historic center of Grodno is included in the State list of historical-cultural heritage of the Republic of Belarus under the "1" category values - the most unique objects of international interest.

sights of Grodno
By the beginning of the description

Church and monastery of Bernardine

sights of Grodno

The Church is the oldest active Catholic Church in Grodno and one of the oldest in Western Belarus. The wooden monastery was founded in 1494 or 1495, on land donated by the Grand Duke of Lithuania and king of Poland Alexander Jagiellon the order of the Bernardines (Franciscans)...

Show/hide all

The stone monastery was erected in 1595-1618 years, with the permission of king Sigismund III. Individual buildings of the complex belong to the XVIII century.

sights of Grodno

Church of the Finding of the Holy cross was consecrated on 13 may, 1618, Vilna Bishop Eustace Volovich. The appearance of the complex bears features of Gothic (apse), Renaissance and Baroque. The interior is dated XVII—XVIII centuries. Its design stands out for the abundance of sculpture and painting. Preserved organ in the XVII century. In the XVIII century the upper tiers of the bell tower of the Church was rebuilt in the Vilna Baroque style. In the same period, the main façade was reconstructed on the model of the Roman Church Il Gesu. Opposite the monastery complex was not preserved convent of Bernardine.

sights of Grodno

Since 1990 in the building of the convent houses a Higher Seminary. The Church is valid.

By the beginning of the description

Zoo

sights of Grodno

First, the largest and the only zoo in Belarus. Base year is 1927, when in the Botanical garden of the gymnasium opened a Zoological Department. Currently, the zoo includes more than 3 thousand animals 317...

Show/hide all

The zoo takes visitors all year round, without days off and lunch break. Mode of operation:

  • in the spring-summer period from 10:00 to 19:00 (weekends and holidays until 19:30);
  • in the autumn-winter period from 10:00 to 17:00 (weekends until 17:30).
sights of Grodno

After the close of the service the zoo continues to work out.

Terrarium on Monday and Thursday open until 15:00 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays until 19:00, weekends until 19:30.

Admission:

  • for adults (from 16 years) — 5 BYN;
  • для детей старше трёх лет — 3 BYN;
  • riding in the cart (weekends and holidays — 2 BYN);
  • the pony-rides (weekends and public holidays — 2 BYN);
  • ride the train Veterok (weekends and holidays — 2 BYN);
  • visit the terrarium during feeding of reptiles;
  • visit the contact pads "Granny's yard" (hours: 11:00 -17:00; lunch: 13:00-14:00; closed Monday, Tuesday; price: 2 BYN).
sights of Grodno sights of Grodno
By the beginning of the description

Church and monastery of Franciscans

sights of Grodno

The architectural monument of the XVII century. The monastery complex was founded in 1635 upickem head Staheekum and his wife Suzanne of Tyshkevich family on the left Bank of the Neman river...

Show/hide all

Originally it was a wooden monastery with a small Church of the Angelic mother of God, which was destroyed during the Russo-Polish war in 1659.

sights of Grodno

In 1660, began construction of a stone Church with a bell tower in the Baroque style. Money for construction was donated by Vilnius voivode Michael of Pat and podstole Grodno Gedenkstaette. The monastery included a Church, bell tower, building of residential buildings and a fence with a gate.

In 1759 the Church was rebuilt after the fire. Funds for the rebuilding of the Church, and the organs donated Mstislavsky the housekeeper Constance Lozova.

sights of Grodno

Since 1853 the Church was closed, and after the Polish uprising of 1863, the monastery was used as a prison for Polish priests and monks. As a prison, the monastery was used until 1919.

Later he functioned as a Franciscan monastery. In 1991, the monastery was taken under the care returned to Grodno with the Franciscans.

By the beginning of the description

Jesuit pharmacy

sights of Grodno

Working pharmacy with the Museum exposition reflects the history of formation of the pharmaceutical business in Grodno (Belarus). Address: St. Sovetskaya, D. 4. The first pharmacy in Grodno, mentioned in 1687 the Pharmacy Museum is located in the historical building of Grodno Jesuit monastery — the monument of history and culture of the XVIII century, which occupies a large area in the Central part of the city...

Show/hide all

The Jesuits constructed a pharmacy building in 1709 In this room, a pharmacy existed, despite the wars, cataclysms and change of owners until 1950, Later the pharmacy it was pharmacy warehouse, furniture showroom, Home teacher. Since 1996 in the old halls with vaulted ceilings decorated with artistic forging, re-located pharmacy sales Department, Museum exhibition and storage space.

sights of Grodno

The first temporary Museum exhibition pharmacies emerged thanks to the help of citizens, and lasted until 2004. After reconstruction the exhibition is a hall of 50 sq m, divided into 3 zones: two ensemble of the complex and one thematic. In the first ensemble recreated the complex area of ancient herbal laboratories ("alchemist's corner"), the second — a fragment of a prescription the hall of the turn of XIX—XX centuries. In showcases of thematic zones in illustrative material reflected the history of pharmacy, tells about the main stages of activities that are associated with the development of medical and pharmaceutical knowledge.

sights of Grodno

For example, in the 70 years of the XVIII century belonged to pharmacy is based in the Grodno Medical Academy — the first higher educational institution on the territory of modern Belarus. Within its walls worked with his students the well-known French botanist, doctor of medicine, Professor Jean Emmanuel Zhiliber. In the XIX century, one of the owners of pharmacies, Yan Adamovich, his scientific research contributed to the study druskeniksky mineral springs. In 1880-ies worked here Michael Wilfried Voynich, the future husband of the writer Ethel Lillianwong. It became the prototype of the protagonist of the novel "the gadfly". Tenants and owners of pharmacies in different years were men of advanced views, who are actively engaged in charity — brothers Adamovici, Kazimierz Stefan, Stanislaw Rozvadovsky, Edward Stempniewski (Pol.) and others.

sights of Grodno

The main part of exhibits belongs to the XIX — beginning of XX century. This is a collection of various pharmaceutical utensils, equipment, and medicines. Interesting stock collection of the pharmacy Museum presents recipes for the signature of various pharmacies Grodno region, promotional products for pharmaceutical companies 20 — 30-ies of XX century, various medical instruments, and ancient books on medicine and pharmacy. The oldest and most valuable items date back to the XVIII century.

By the beginning of the description

The Grand choral synagogue

sights of Grodno

Active synagogue in the city centre of Grodno (Bolshaya Troitskaya, 59A), Belarus. Traces its history from the XVI century. The first stone synagogue in Grodno was built in the years 1575-1580 by Italian architect Santi Gucci, who was invited by Rabbi Mordechai Yaffe, a native of Prague, shortly before that, in 1572, — arrived in Grodno...

Show/hide all

A fire in 1617, this synagogue was completely destroyed, but soon after the fire, the Polish king Zygmunt III allowed Jews to build a new synagogue on the site of the old. The second synagogue lasted longer, but repeated the fate of its predecessor, burned in 1899. The current building of the Grand choral synagogue was built by Ilya Francine in 1902-1905 gg. in kind of an eclectic Moorish style.

sights of Grodno

During the German occupation of Grodno the synagogue located in the heart of the ghetto used by the Nazis as a gathering place for Jews before sending them to concentration camps and executions.

sights of Grodno

The rich interior decoration of the building during the great Patriotic war had inflicted serious damage. In the Soviet period (1944-1991). the building was used for storage, also there were creative workshops of Grodno artists.

Since 1991 the building was returned to the Jewish religious community. Currently, the restoration of facades and interior decoration of the synagogue.

By the beginning of the description

Lutheran church

sights of Grodno

The architectural monument of the early XIX century in neo-Gothic style. 1779 in Grodno housed a large community of artisans Lutherans who, at the invitation of the Grodno headman, Earl Anthony tizengauz, came from Germany to work at the Royal manufactory...

Show/hide all

In 1793, the Polish king Stanislaw II gave the Grodno Evangelical-Lutheran community building of the former tavern, which was adapted as a Church.

sights of Grodno

n the early nineteenth century began restructuring the three-storey building of a former tavern in a stone Church in the Gothic revival style. By 1843 construction of the stone Church was completed, and is arranged next to the Lutheran cemetery. Later, the Church built a small rectory. Final view of the building of the Church was formed in 1873, when the belfry was decorated for hours.

In 1912 was completed a significant reconstruction of the Church building, plastering of the facades, at the same time from the chancel built a new parsonage with the Lutheran school.

sights of Grodno

The subsequent first and second world war led the Grodno Lutheran community in decline, part of the community was deported, part immigrated.

In Soviet times, the Church has placed the state archive (1944-1994 gg.), which removed part of her interior. The old Lutheran cemetery, closed in 1936, built public buildings.

sights of Grodno

In 1993, the community of Grodno Lutherans resumed the activity. In 1995 the Church was given to Religious Evangelical-Lutheran community of Grodno, today it is the only operating in Belarus Lutheran Church.

At the end of 2013 began restoration of the building. Planned reconstruction of its original appearance, including a 12-meter high spire, and 10 crosses in the exterior of the temple.

By the beginning of the description

Svyatskaya Palace

sights of Grodno

The architecture monument of XVIII century surrounded by a Park. Located in the village of Svyatsk, Grodno district. Was the family residence of the magnate kind of the Volovich family. Built by the Italian architect Giuseppe de Sacco...

Show/hide all

The two-storey main building covered with Baroque broken roof with attic. The front yard is limited to two symmetrically placed wing attached to the Palace by galleries with colonnades. The center of the Palace highlighted by the avant-corps, decorated with pilasters of the ionic order and topped with a triangular pediment. Opposite the main building there is a small chapel in the Gothic revival style.

sights of Grodno

The Palace is surrounded by a landscape Park with ponds.

In Soviet times, svyatskiy housed a sanatorium. Subjects for 2015 the building belongs to the sanatorium lake, however, is in the running state, the planned reconstruction has yet to begin.

sights of Grodno
By the beginning of the description

The Grodno fortress

sights of Grodno

August 4, 1912, the Russian Emperor Nicholas II signed a decree on the construction of the new castle in Grodno. The fortress was supposed to consist of 13 FORTS, 19 lettered reference points and 23 numbered reference points. A second line of defense was to be deprecated earthen FORTS. The Builder of the fortress was appointed military engineer the General-major Dmitry Pavlovich Kolosovskiy. The commandant of the fortress was the former chief of the 26th infantry division Lieutenant General Mikhail Nikiforovich Kaigorodov. Chief of staff of the fortress became a major-General Nikandr A. Lemelin...

Show/hide all

In 1913-1914 appeared first fortified part — Grodno fortress aeronautical company and fortress aviation detachment of Grodno fortress gendarmerie command, city garage. Fortress artillery units began to emerge only in the summer of 1914. In command of the Grodno fortress artillery joined Lieutenant-General Vladimir M. Kristapovich. Fortress sapper and Telegraph battalions appeared only in the summer of 1915. Before the First world war in Grodno fortress were built hats fasov concrete parapets 9 FORTS (FORTS Nos. I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX), hats fasov 6 support points (number 1, letter "A", letter "b", letter "D," No. 8, letter "K"), 2 main powder magazine, 22 building barracks and headquarters.

sights of Grodno

Until the summer of 1915 construction work in Grodno fortress were continued, but most of them took the intermediate device, temporary fortifications, trenches, artillery positions and others as a result of concrete works was built: head fasov concrete parapets on the 2 FORTS (Nos. XIII and X), the head of the FAS of the concrete parapet of a reference point letter "E", 5 main powder keg, up to 1 thousand dugouts and concrete bunkers, several of the bridges across the Neman. No Fort or strong point was not completed even 50 %.

The garrison amounted to militia squads. By August 1915, in service of the Grodno fortress were more than 700 pieces of artillery.

sights of Grodno

Grodno fortress played the role of a reference point for the Russian armies in September 1914 and in February 1915. On the basis of the formation of the various parts of the Russian army. In February 1915 the German troops fought for the advanced fortified positions.

In August 1915, the Grodno fortress was abolished and disarmed, and part of the fortifications blown up. After a summary of the fighting from 31 August to 3 September 1915 fortifications of the former fortress was blown up and abandoned by the Russian army. The most fierce battles were fought for fortifications FORTS III and IV.

sights of Grodno

In 1915-1919 year the Grodno fortress was used by the German army. Some parts of the defence was greatly strengthened small concrete fortifications (built more than 150 observation points, shelters, Pillboxes). The fortress had a garrison (7 battalions of landsturm, army battalion, 8 batteries from the artillery).

1919 Grodno castle passed to Poland. The first commandant was General Wojciech Karlovich, Palevic. Was a dedicated part of the garrison of the fortress. During the Polish-Soviet war, the strengthening of the Grodno fortress was used as the Polish and Soviet armies.

In 1920 the Grodno fortress, as well as all fortresses in the territory of Poland, received the status of "Fortified positions" (Pol. "Oboz Warowny"). From mid-1920-ies it had the garrison ceased to exist. Part of the fortifications were dismantled.

sights of Grodnoо

After the occupation of Grodno the red army (September 1939), there were plans to use the fortifications of a former fortress for the defense of the Grodno direction. These plans, however, were not implemented. Fort number IV was used as a warehouse for ammunition.

During the Second world war, fortifications were used occasionally. In June of 1941, heavy fighting was conducted in earthen Fort number IV (built 1887-1889 gg.). In July 1944, the fortification of Fort No. I was used by the advancing Soviet army. Fort number II, the Germans used to shoot local citizens and Soviet prisoners of war.

Currently preserved earthen Fort No. I (built 1887-1889) the Fort number IV, reference point No. 8, the powder magazine FORTS No. IV and V.

A number of facilities of the Grodno fortress was included in the List of historical and cultural heritage of Belarus.

By the beginning of the description

Avgustov canal

sights of Grodno

Navigable canal in Poland and the Grodno region of Belarus, connects the river Vistula and the Neman (river Bebeu, netto (pl:Netta (rzeka)) and Black Gangchu), a monument of hydraulic architecture, is located in a protected area of UNESCO. Length of 101.2 km, 22 km on the territory of Belarus, about 79 km on the territory of Poland. Includes a number of gateways and drawbridges...

Show/hide all

Visa-free entry to Belarus to stay in the area of the Augustow Canal, fixed by the decree of the President of the Republic of Belarus. The development of tourism on the Augustow canal began in the 20-30-ies of the 20th century. However, due to the Second world war and explosions gateways of tourist activity on the channel was destined to stop. On the revival of the tourist life on the Augustow canal can only speak from "binding" to the end of the 20th century. And we can talk about the intensification of several types of tourism — ecological, excursion, sports.

sights of Grodno

The channel connects the 7 natural lakes: Necko, białe, Studzienicze, eagle, Paniewo, Krzywe and Mikusheva and 11 rivers: Biebrza, Netta, Black Gancia, Klonownica, Plaska (aka Sucha Rzeczka, she's Servance, she's Panuska), Mikaszowka, Perkusja, Slamina, Voloshanka, Ostashenko and Neman. Natural ponds are connected by hydraulic structures with sluices and spillway dams, including office buildings, roads and bridges. Backup water supply is connected from outside the buffer zone water lakes Sajno, Serwy and Wigry, which are located within the protected zone. 6 historical gateways of Preventi, Paneva, Perkusi, Sosnowiec, Tartak and Kutynkyeva available on the forest trail for cyclists and hikers.

sights of Grodno

The channel offers tourists a variety of opportunities. Unmatched beauty different pristine purity of the natural landscapes of woods and lakes, particularly in Poland, near rivers Biebrza and Netta and fill the August primitive forest from West to East. Most tourists prefer to travel along the canal on kayaks, canoes, Motorboats and fishing.

sights of Grodno

Tourists departing on the August channel of the Belarusian side on your car is recommended to navigate to the gateway horse taxi takes us Sonichi village (near the village Sopotskin). To it the easiest way to get following as of Grodno and Minsk.

By the beginning of the description